Monday, December 6, 2010
The band and me...a working relationship...it's almost like a marriage!
I was thinking about the band and how it's so similar to being married or like any other significant relationship:
1) The first year is often the hardest. I have struggled and I have triumphed. I've been jubilant and I've been disappointed.
2) I still have to put work into this relationship for the band to work. It does provide restriction but I have to control my diet and exercise.
3) It has its ups and downs...there are times when I thought it was working tremendously and other times when I wasn't sure it was working.
4) We are learning to get a long. Each time I get a fill or post op, I have to guage what the band can take and not take. We are getting to know each other and build up a momentum, a rapport of sorts.
5) Its dynamic and always changing. The band is filled, my body chemistry, composition changes, my life style changes. With all these changes I have to adjust.
6) It helps to have support from others to give you context and guidance on how to improve/enhance your relationship. This is you blogger friends. i think I have learned more from the blogging world than I have from my surgeon's office.
The relevance of these thoughts? It reminds me that no matter how great a tool is, I need to work at it constantly.
Thank you virtual friends.