My Banded Time

Monday, July 4, 2011

Under lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pressure

Hi there...I've been working on a document from hell...I was assigned this task two months ago because of my "talent with the client adn ability" and its just not been turning out...There is an IT project and the prime contractor who we work with has not been following the rules and standards.  But we can't write that without alienating our relationship.  I want to be ethical but not alienate the business relationships we have.  I've been caught between a rock and a hard place for 6 weeks.   I've been up at the wee hours and up a couple hours later and its getting better and its getting done but its been painful and difficult and stressful.  My project lead micromanages to when she is stressed out...she has been analyzing every line and word of a 80 plus page document.  It is PAINFUL. 

But one thing I've learned in the last year is that there will always be variables that I can't control but I need to control my response.  All I can do is try my best and to deal with each thing as it comes and not to numb the stress with FOOD.  It is a string of painful projects like this that have made me obese and I will not let them get to me anymore.

How do you deal with work stress?  life stress?

Not a real post, just a vent about life.  I can't wait for this to be done. 

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh Dear Friend.. It will come to an end - eventually.. I am exceedingly PROUD of how well you are handling this stressful time in your life!! You're looking at it all in a very healthy and self preserving way - you're amazing!!

    Work stress?? Sometimes a cold martini and venting to the Hubs works! Life stress?? I'm a worrier and often forget to eat - not good - then I eat like a moose when the stress has past..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness...I wish I had the answer to that one. I think you are on the right track with recognizing that the problem is uncontrollable. I still want the food to ease my strain when work is crazy. I am leaning towards figuring a way to rethink my job but I do not know if that is something you can control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I feel your pain, having been in similar situations! Not sure if you need to describe the less-than-stellar client in the report--If so, some euphemisms are pretty understood w/out spelling it out: such and such a company would be "more appropriate for the project" etc. Good luck w. the writing/editing and try not to take your micromanaging editor too seriously. I always eat under stress...it's something I'm hoping being banded will help curb/change. I had some stress a few nights ago and reached for a half bowl of Special K berry and 40 cal almond milk. Perhaps designating some low cal "stress binge" foods would help for now. And breathe! I use techniques from my two Lamaze breathing classes (not used in deliveries since both ended up C sections!) to deal with stress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life stress, how do I deal? Probably not very well!! I normally turn into a mega moody girl! But honestly exercise has really helped me! Yoga. Not for the meditation side of things because I can never fully relax but just to clear my mind mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just cry, cry, cry!!!! I had a meltdown yesterday when our A/C went out...big hiccupy sobs...but I felt better afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Work stress is a hard one! The first thing I want to do is eat to make myself feel better, but I've had to figure out other things instead. I try to take some breaks and get up and walk away. I tell myself I am only one person and there is only so much I can do. It will still be there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many many virtual hugs to you for your stressful work life. It sounds like you are highly talented and thus highly valued, but that means you get tasked with very difficult things. Remember to have confidence in your abilities, both at work and at home when trying to destress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All bad things must come to an end and so will this project...eventually. Just hang in there!

    As far as handling stress, I'm afraid I'm not very good at it. I still eat my stress and snap at my hubby. Wild mood swings. I do find that working out helps but I still have to fight the urge to slack off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cry alot when I'm stressed - I know that doesn't help, but you asked!

    I hope things get better, my friend. I wish there was a way to say things that need to be said in a way that would never threaten any working relationships... it's not fair when you have valid critiques.

    Hopefully this project is over soon. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete