My Banded Time

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Is it Me or Is it Them? Weight Discrimination or Low Self Esteem?

One of the reasons I wanted to lose weight was because I felt that people judged me because of my weight and underestimated my abilities.  I felt this at work.  As a management consultant, I felt that my fat and my fat clothes were a handicap in the beautiful world of management consulting.  Christine at Phonenix Revolution pointed out that while there is weight discrimination, I should watch how I conduct myself and interact with others.  Do I interact confidently?  Do I state things affirmatively with conviction? Do I hide behind my weight?  Do people pick up on my second guessing?  That made me think

I think its a combination of both.  Yes, fat discrimination exists but I was using my fat as an excuse, as a shield.  Although I'm in the beginning of my journey and have only lost 10 lbs; I decided to take Christine's words to heart and to put myself out there in a more confident manner.  Even though its only been 10 lbs, its the jump start I needed.  I started speaking more confidently, asking for jobs/projects.  I'm now doing a project I really enjoy with a client I actually like.  I realize its all relative.  I know people who weigh 130 lbs who feel fat and wait and long for the day when they are think and can live out their dreams.  I want to live now versus later, when I reach my dream weight.  Me at the weight of 212 is starting to live my dreams...and make them come alive one day at a time.

Since getting banded 9/15/2010...it crystalized in my mind that I have to stop hiding behind my fat and start living my life.   I realize that a large part of this journey is mental, not just physical and weight related.

Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

  1. My guess is it's both us and them! One of, well probably the biggest reason I got my band was for professional advancement. I'm down 130 pounds, and everything I had wanted is happening. I feel confident now, butI was when I was fat), but the world sure does treat thin women differently (better) than obese women get treated... I'm not imagining that! This is definitely an interesting subject... I can't wait to read your take on it as you lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's a combination of both. I think fat discrimination definitely exists...there are certain stereotypes as overweight people being lazy or dumb. But I also agree that fat people aren't the only ones that face discrimination and it's up to us to prove people wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a vast topic. I don't see as much discrimination in my area because I live in the south and everybody's got a family member that they love dearly who is fat. So, we are used to seeing it more. LOL

    However, I think that there is lots of discrimination out there against people who aren't as handsome or pretty as others as well. It always irks me when I see two candidates who are equally qualified, but everyone gravitates toward the bubbly little cutesy one.

    I agree with MandaPanda - it's definitely up to fat people to go out there and get what we want and prove to others that we are professional and qualified.

    ReplyDelete