My Banded Time

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Therapists and Support?

I'm wondering how many of you out there go to therapy to help you manage life with the band.  I have been going since I received my psych evaluation.  My therapist is highly regarded in terms of dealing with weight/weight loss surgery related issues.  I'm trying to determine if I like her.  During my first meeting she told me not to call her by her first name...instead to call her Dr. _______.  I guess I can respect that but it didn't seem necessarily warm and during the session her eyes darted all across the room and at her planner.  But she asks great questions and knows her field so I'm going to be patient.  A Patient Patient!  I realize that when things upset me, I have medicated a lot with food in the past.  Most my crisis milestones in my life  (job transitions, difficulties in college, difficulties in graduate school, difficulties with money, difficulties with men, difficulties with friends) have been accompanied by significant variances in weight.    I'm trying to grow by talking out feelings and being more direct with myself about why I'm upset versus overeating to numb my anxiety.  I also want to overcome my anxieties about failing at this weight loss endeavor.  I would hate to have gone through all the tests, surgery and time to fail at this golden opportunity.

This has been a scary but wonderful journey so far.  For now I'm just taking one day at a time.

Thank you for listening.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Thanks for the sweet words on my blog. It's weird to think I inspire anyone, but that's why blogging is so great. Someday soon someone will write to you that you're their inspiration.

    I think we need to get you some more followers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda sent me over :) HI, nice to meet you.

    I have gone to visit with psychologists a time or two. I have not done so with my band but did find during the previous times (once because I was having a mid-live relationship crisis and depressed and another when I had extended family issues)that feeling comfortable and valued was huge I went through a few who I felt were more concerned with time or telling me about themselves. If you feel uncomfortable at all it is perfectly reasonable to look for someone else who you feel better with.

    Having said this however, I do think it is good that you are recognizing your eating issues and if your current doctor is helping she might be a keeper :)...You are the customer here though so stand up for yourself if you are not comfortable.

    Good luck with both your blog and this band stuff!! I will follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda thank you for the shout out. Tina...thanks for coming. I appreciate it. I was wondering how blog friends are made. Thank you Linda and Tina and my new friends...

    ReplyDelete